Tuesday, August 16, 2011

the long drive home

today i made the drive from my grandma's house in salt lake city to my home in los altos, california.  its more or less a straight trip west that took about 12-13 or so hours.  it was fun, because i got to ride with my older sister and brother and my sisters three little kids.  yeah.

here are some things that made the trip quite memorable:

i got to relive some parts of my childhood.  my brother brought tons of old disney cartoons to watch on the trip.  the kids really liked gummi bears, which i haven't watched since i was like 5.  a great cartoon, though, i think i was about ready to be done when it was done.

i told my niece that i am 7 years old and she believed me.  she kept saying, "when Miles was 7, he wasn't as big as you are."  (Miles, her brother, is currently 8, and he still isn't as big as i am).  but she never decided that i wasn't 7 and in fact when her mom told her that i'm not she was like "yeah he is.  he told me."

it was my turn to drive during the middle stretch of the trip, which was basically all of nevada.  i've always felt like nevada is one of those states that gets the cursed reputation of being a desolate wasteland that you only see cause you have to drive through it to get to where you're actually going.  now i've never actually been to nevada and i've only been there to get to utah or home, so i guess i can see why people think that way.  but since i had like 4 1/2 hours on the same road going down through the state i really didn't see any problems with it.  sure, it aint green like the south, its mountains aren't as big as utah's, and it doesn't have pines and stuff that appeared once we got to california, but i still thought it was a nice drive.  it wasn't like this totally barren waste that people say it is; i thought the yellowish brown grass looked pretty and the mountains were cool but not so high that it just like blocks out the sky and whatnot.  really, i figure if you're expected a wasteland that's what you'll find but if you look for whats good in anything you'll find that too. 


after dinner i came to a sort of monumental realization about my sister's three kids.  i realized that they are all very much like the animaniacs.  my oldest nephew talks a lot... like, a lot, as does yakko.  the middle brother is a goof and a joker like wakko, and my niece is just super cute like dot.  yeah.. it was just funny when that hit me.  its like they're a parallel family or something.

well then we got home and now i'm here.  i honestly do tend to get bored when i come home.. but with so many of my friends leaving provo as it is for the break, its more or less of a choice between being bored here and bored there.  and it is my only chance to be here until the Christmas break.  however i really am looking forward to my time here.  there's friends who i want/need to spend some time with.  there's family that i can get a lot closer to.  there's a lil dog who's itchin to get walked  there is a harry potter marathon that has been begging my brother and i to conquer it.  bottom line is, there's a lot of good that can be done wherever you are, and there's a lot to appreciate about the people and places you know.. or don't really know at all.  




No comments:

Post a Comment