Thursday, April 7, 2011

epic dreams


The image you see before you may appear as strange, or even blasphemous.  You have probably never seen anything like it before. In fact, i'm pretty sure you haven't because when i searched 'harry potter vs charizard' into google, i just found a bunch of picutres of charziard and like one of harry (proving the superiority of pokemon).  Anyways, the point that i'm trying to make is that somewhere deep within my subconscious i have already contemplated the possibility of and encounter between an epic wizard and the probably second most popular pokemon of all time.  I speak of of my epic dreams.

Ever since i was a little kid, i have always had trouble sleeping.  its an issue that i've pretty much gotten used to.  on a typical given night, it will usually take me between about 30 minutes to 2 hours of just lying there until i fall asleep.  even when i'm tired or sick.  weird.  the extra fun nights are when its even longer than that.. and the night i am happy for are when i just conk out in like 5 seconds.  but generally i'm not that lucky.

So, to compensate me for my inability to sleep, the Good Lord pretty much guaranteed me that i'm gonna be entertained for every dang minute that i can scrap together.   there is rarely a night where i don't have a dream.  that doesn't always mean that i'm gonna remember it by the end of the day, but i usually remember it for part of the morning and have something to chuckle at.  the more epic ones are memorized much longer.

the first dream that i remember having was when i was probably about 5, and it wasn't a good one.  i mainly remember running in the halls with some kids in my neighborhood away from some bad guy, who apparently would adopt kids and then throw them in the trash.  it doesn't make mush sense now (like they ever do when you're awake), but when i was 5 it was unsettling.

i often have dreams that end by my falling into water and being unable to move.  when i breathe in or open my eyes, i wake up.  i guess i'm a ground type if i can't swim..

i somewhat often dream that i'm back in high school (ick) and haven't gone to class like all year and i'm worried about failing.  but then i realize that i've already graduated and then i'm just wondering what the heck is going on.  then i wake up.

sometimes i can figure out that i am dreaming and wake myself up.  it isnt really easy though.  i have to do this thing, it doesn't really make sense cause i can only do it in dream life and not in real life.  its kinda like.. i gotta flex my brain muscles or something like that.  it kind of hurts my head, and it usually takes like 2 or 3 tries before it actually wakes me up.  i can also rewind my dreams if i don't like something that happened by doing the same brain-flexing thing.  though i usually wake up not long after a rewind.  i can also sometimes fly in my dreams, but i can't control it very well.

i have had some dreams that were centered on helping babies.  i remember one where i was on like a beach or a coast or something, and all these tidal waves came crashing on us and were pounding me against all these rocks.  it didn't even hurt.  so while myself and everyone was running to safety, i'm making my way out of the water and out of nowhere this baby just floats on the water being carried by the tied and floats into my right arm.  seconds later, i hand the baby over to his momma.  yeah.

there was a time where these monsters were going to come attack my neighborhood, and we had to protect this baby who had psychic powers.  so Sean Morris and i were going to my house to get shovels or pans or rakes or something to fight the monsters with.. but then i woke up before the epic throw down.  lame.

speaking of Sean Morris, he often makes cameo appearances or will co-star in a dream.  there's been at least two dreams where he has been shot, in one of which he was hardcore enough to steal the gun from the bad guy and shoot him back.

it is not uncommon for me to be playing nintendo in my dreams (its often Legend of Zelda) and at some point in the dream i end up actually doing whatever is inside the game.  in some non-related to video game-dreams i actually see people life/stats bar floating above their heads or just somewhere in my line of vision.

some dreams are just way too real.  by the time i was a senior in high school i had the early morning seminary system down.  wake up at like 5:40, roll outta bed, eat something maybe, and get picked up by my good friend at like 5:55 or whenever it was.  one morning i woke up at aboue 4:45 or 5:00, so i knew i could go back to sleep.  i then had a dream where i woke up and looked at my clock and it was like 2AM or something.  then i actually woke up again, this time it was about 5:05 or 5:10.  that morning i woke up several times and looked at my clock, while having several dreams where i woke up and looked at my clock.  real life kept getting closer and closer to 5:40, where in the dreams time jumped all over the place...

some dreams are just so epic that you remember the whole dang thing.  the most epic dream i ever had occurred while i was a freshman here at BYU.  i remember it so well.. probably because it was just an incredible experience.

so there i was, standing in the BYU bookstore, with harry potter to my left.  we were both looking at this calendar which had this orange black-hole vortexy looking thingy.  harry looks at me and says 'you ready?' and i'm like 'yeah.'  he jumps into the vortexy thing (harry always goes first, that thunder-stealing punk) and i jump in after him.  i was transported to this area that had like all these computerized purple mountain/hill looking terrain (the graphics were pretty good, probably like a better Nintendo 64 game).  down one of the hills there was the valley that had an amphitheater at the center of it.  just a few feet to the side of the amphitheater, i saw harry with his wand out, and he was battling a charizard.  i didn't have to think twice to know that i was beholding the greatest thing that man had ever seen.

however, i didn't have much time to enjoy the spectacle, because out of nowhere, a wild mewtwo appeared!  i knew i was in for some trouble.  however, i looked down at my belt and realized that i conveniently had two pokeballs at my waist.  'i know!' i thought to myself, 'i'll just send out tyranitar, it should be able to beat mewtwo no problem!' i throw one of the pokeballs, and whatever the heck emerged from it definitely wasn't a tyranitar; it wasn't even a pokemon.  nonetheless i commenced battle on my foe, by yelling out, "tyranitar, beat the crap out of it!"  i dont know what i was thinking, i would have had much more success if i told it to use an actual move, like crunch, earthquake, rock slide, or even leer for crying out loud... but you don't always think straight while your dreaming.  anyways, my pokemon (or not) just stood there and didn't do anything while mewtwo thrashed it.  "what the heck?" i thought, "why isn't it listening to me? i have all the badges..." (and yes, i actually thought that).  with my first pokemon gone, i throw out my last pokeball and all that pops out is this little red caterpillar/worm (and no, it wasnt a caterpie though even that would have been better), which mewtwo made short work of.  i knew at this point i was done.


with mewtwo closing in to claim me as his next victim, i wasn't sure what to do.  suddenly, Megaman X showed up and started blasting mewtwo with his arm cannon.  i even saw a boss power bar like in all Megaman games slowly getting lower and lower ans Megaman defeated mewtwo.  i cheered for the robot hero, who once again brought peace to the year 21XX

with all my enemies defeated, i saw that a crowd was gathering and sitting on the ground in front of the amphitheater, only with their backs to it.  i walked down and sat with them, and watched the ending credits roll through the night sky behind the mountains.  i woke up the happiest man on earth that day.

if Leonardo DiCaprio could inception his face into my dreams, i think he would probably have a ton of fun.  he could even charge people to come, like an amusement park.  that would have been way more legit that stealing from peoples minds... oh well..

people will always say that you should follow your dreams.  if i were to take that advice, i'd be one crazy dude.  i'd probably be always running around, trying to fly, while also helping babies and fighting evil with my best friend Sean Morris, on top of becoming a pokemon master while trying to develop a relationship with every girl that i've ever liked, along with turning in an entire year's worth of school work, and avoiding the person in my ward who murdered 2 people while following harry potter through magical portals.

follow my dreams, eh?  nah, that's crazy.  i'll just stay in college.

1 comment:

  1. It surprises me how you've had many of the same dreams I've had. I don't ever dream about Pokemon...but some of those others were familiar.

    ReplyDelete